Monday, April 20, 2015

Altered Journal Cover for Finnabair Creative Team Blog


It's my turn again on the Finnabair Blog for the Creative Team!

I LOVE doing these posts so I can share the cool products Finn has come up with, and show you a snippet of how I used them.

This is my Altered Journal Cover.


It started out like this. I've had it for several years, and it's just been on a shelf BEGGING to be changed and altered into something different.

I started by painting the entire cover and spine with Heavy Black Gesso. 


Then I took out a few elements I wanted to add and base coated them with Heavy White Gesso.

I mixed up some Soft Gloss Gel with Purple Mica Powder and painted the pieces with it twice. While it was still wet, I pushed the pieces into a pile of Copper Micro Beads. Wherever they stuck was just fine with me. I added a couple more beads in places that needed more.


When the Journal Cover was dry, I sprayed it with Perfect Pearl Mists and let them drip. I used Turquoise, Copper and Perfect Pearl.

I LOVE how this turned out!!!


Then I started to lay things out on the cover. I found some plastic mesh from my stash and cut a piece for the edge near the spine. This is a closeup of how the gorgeous colors come together.

The Flowers and Vintage Centers are layered onto the book with Gel. I found another metal label in my stash and saw that 3 Bolts and Nuts fit in it perfectly.


I used Mini Flowers and Roman Numerals to fill in some of the spots. And, yes, the Leaves are really, really Purple. They are iridescence and turn a blue and purple color depending on the light. Gorgeous color!

I used 3D Gloss Gel to glue everything into place. The Facet has a Vintage Photo of a girl glued and trimmed to the back. 


After I had it all glued together I added some Inka Gold and Copper to the edges and high points of the elements.


The 2 layers of trim along the edge holds down the black mesh. And the Joy Bath Knob says it all about how I felt when it was all done.  The last thing I did was add drops of black Archival Ink in areas to just add a little more contrast.


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Don't forget to click on the links below for products in the Mixed Media Place and elsewhere.

And always remember to check on 
for Wednesday's Art Recipes and the super talented Creative Team's Projects throughout the week.

Your Friend in ART,

Linda 

Prima Art Basics - Heavy Black Gesso and Heavy White Gesso
Prima Art Basics - 3D Gloss Gel
Prima Art Basics - Soft Gloss Gel
Prima Art Ingredients Mica Powder - Purple
Prima Art Ingredients Micro Beads - Copper
Prima Mechanicals - Leaves 2
Prima Mechanicals - Flowers x10
Prima Mechanical - Vintage Centers
Prima Mechanicals - Clockface Large
Prima Mechanicals - Roman Numerals
Prima Junkyard Findings - Bolts and Nuts
Prima Junkyard Findings - Keyholes
Prima Junkyard Findings - Vintage Bath Tub Knobs
Prima Junkyard Findings - Switches and Outlets
Prima Mini Mulberry Paper Roses - Winter
Prima Mechanicals - Medium and Mini Flowers
Inka Gold - Gold and Copper
Archival Ink Reinker - Jet Black
Perfect Pearls Mists
Metal Label
Vintage Photo
Trims

5 comments:

Kathy Bradley said...

Linda,
This journal is so, so gorgeous! The textures, colors and mechanicals are all perfect. The vintage photo is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your step-by-step.

Lori said...

Really stunning Linda!! Love this!

Linda DesGroseilliers said...

Incredibly beautiful, Linda!

Unknown said...

Oh wow - extremely wonderful. Every piece is perfect and in exactly the right place. And the colors - totally beautiful. Sooooooooooooooo admire your work. j.

nanou49 said...

so so wonderful !